The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a newly created position that will play a critical role in ensuring Social Current achieves its mission, vision, and goals; maintains its strengths; operates in alignment with its values; and becomes an even more nimble, agile, and responsive organization that is the premiere partner and thought leader for the social sector. The COO will also create and support a high performing culture across the organization aligned with Social Current’s mission, vision, and values in a manner that promotes staff confidence, accountability, and professionalism.
The COO is part of a five-person executive team that includes the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Chief Strategy & Growth Officer (CSGO), and Vice President of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (VP-EDI). The COO reports directly to the CEO. A key role of the COO is contributing to a highly collaborative, highly effective executive team. Effective partnership with the CEO, CFO, CSGO and VP-EDI are essential to the success of the COO.
The COO is responsible for leading the operational and financial success and growth of all Social Current service lines, including:
- Child and family well-being
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Leadership and organizational excellence
- Policy and government affairs
- Workforce resilience, brain science, and trauma informed approaches
Together, these service lines and associated offerings, support the quality and excellence of the
social sector and facilitate sector impact and results.
Planning and Budgeting for Services
- Lead development of an annual operational budget for review and approval by the CEO and CFO
- Manage effectively within approved budget and report accurately on progress and challenges
Delivery of Services
- Ensure all services are needs-driven, field-informed, research-based, mission- and values-aligned, fiscally responsible, and sustainable
- Ensure that high-quality work is delivered on time, in accordance with agreements, and within budget
- Implement a business strategy for all services that foregrounds equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging efforts
Continuous Quality Improvement for Services
- Create and oversee a monitoring process for all service line offerings
Lead a data-driven continuous quality improvement process for all service lines
- Create and promote ongoing opportunities for staff and customers to give feedback on offerings
Development of New Service Offerings
- Oversee the development of new offerings that are needs-driven, field-informed, research-based, mission-and values-aligned, and responsive to the trends and themes surfaced from market and competitor analysis and stakeholder engagement
- Engage the services team in a thoughtful and data-informed process when developing new offerings
- Ensure new opportunities and innovative strategies are linked to resources and capabilities
Engagement and Development of Services Team Members
- Recruit, train, develop, and coach all services staff
- Work with staff to balance workload and manage effort
- Provide regular feedback to key staff in support of continuous professional development
- Define team roles, accountabilities, and decision-making rights of the services team
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
- Articulates the importance of equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) to Social Current’s mission to internal and external stakeholders
- Operationalizes an equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) mindset into team strategic planning.
- Promotes a collaborative workplace climate that recognizes, celebrates, and rewards EDI.
- Recognizes and addresses incidents of explicit and implicit bias, including one’s own; hold people accountable for problematic behavior and ensure structures and processes are in place that allow all staff to do the same.
Executive Team Partnership
- Partner with the CEO to represent Social Current with external constituency groups, including community, governmental, and private organizations
- Provide service line input to strategic planning processes with the CEO, CSGO, VP-EDI, and staff
- Facilitate the establishment and tracking and reporting of annual key performance indicators and promote and ensure accountability in achieving these objectives
Other duties may be assigned.
- Passionate about Social Current’s mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission, and values to external and internal stakeholders
- Strong relationship builder and communicator
- Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent executive presence with professional integrity and thought leadership skills
- Strong business acumen
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of success in the following areas:
- Solid educational background including an undergraduate degree and an advanced degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 10 years of professional experience overall, with a minimum of five years of senior leadership experience supervising seasoned staff
- Contributing to the work of an executive leadership team (ideally within an organization of similar scale and geographically diverse customer base as Social Current)
- Developing an organization-wide strategy for service excellence
- Overseeing and monitoring consulting or comparable work
- Establishing and achieving key performance indicators, targets, and breakthrough results
- Leading diverse work teams and effectively engaging and managing staff in a remote or hybrid environment
- Identifying opportunities for developing the next level of leaders
- Engaging colleagues at all levels of an organization, board, and external stakeholders
- Serving as a champion for a culture of inclusion and belonging
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and coach, mentor, or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge, skills, and productivity.
- Ability to motivate, develop, and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Ability to encourage and build mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
Leadership Presence: (Personal accountability, unified)
- Demonstrates consistency in actions and words. Takes unpopular stands when needed. Simultaneously focuses on short- and long-term strategies/goals/actions. Fosters teamwork.
- Influences and motivates others with enthusiasm, logic, and facts.
- Displays self-awareness of leadership strengths and weaknesses, always striving to improve competencies in emotional intelligence, regulation, engagement, effective communication, and cultural humility.
Managing People Talent Development: (Achievement focus, Quality, initiative, just)
- Provides ongoing coaching to assist employees in accomplishing their work and professional goals. Discusses short term performance improvement opportunities and career interest. Hires high potential talent that adds value to the organization.
- Models being a team player and expects team members to support each other and other departments in accomplishing goals. Utilizes the talents of all team members. Celebrates and shares team successes. Provides ongoing flow of information to team members.
- Holds self-accountable for achieving results/goals, honoring commitments, and meeting deadlines.
Quality Management: (Quality, initiative, purposeful)
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Asks for help when needed. Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities. Seeks increased responsibilities. Takes independent actions and calculated risks.
- Fosters quality focus in others. Improves processes, products, and services. Measures key outcomes. Sets clear quality requirements. Solicits and applies feedback (staff, partners, customers) to improve performance.
Impact & Influence: (Achievement focus, purposeful)
- Listens to and addresses divergent opinions. Displays ability to influence key decision-makers. Pursues and wins support for ideas. Uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals.
- Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Sets and achieves challenging goals.
Strategic Thinking: (Initiative, Achievement focus, intrepid)
- Adapts strategy to changing conditions. Analyzes market and competition. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Identifies and acts on external threats and opportunities. Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses.
- Is proactive in all business issues.
- Takes independent actions and calculated risks.
Learning Agility: (Intrepid)
- Learns quickly from all types of situations and can adapt behavior to new situations to improve performance. Takes risks in applying new ideas/thinking/approaches.
- Asks for help when needed. Seeks increased responsibilities. Undertakes self-development activities.
Ability to travel up to 50%. Attend in-person staff meetings/events a minimum of one time annually.
This position will offer an annual salary based on standard work hours of 35 hours per week. The salary range for this position is $135,000 to $160,000. Social Current offers a generous paid time off plan (PTO); medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits; and a 401(k)-retirement plan.
How to apply to this Position
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and note the title of the position in the email subject line.
About This Job Description
The information provided in this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job classification and level of responsibilities. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. Social Current is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment to a position represented by this job description will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.