D6: Igniting Advocacy Training Part 2: Effective Advocacy Strategies
Area of Focus: Policy Advocacy
This is the second session of a two-part advocacy training during SPARK 2023. This training will equip participants with the information and skills to effectively participate in Social Current’s Hill Day, immediately following the conference, Oct. 18. This session is required for those participating in Hill Day, and all SPARK 2023 participants are invited to join.
This second training session will focus on advanced advocacy strategies, equipping participants with the skills to navigate policymaking and advocate for their causes.
The session will cover the following topics:
- Policy Analysis and Research: Participants will learn techniques for analyzing policies, identifying gaps, and conducting research to support their advocacy efforts. They will explore how to gather evidence, evaluate the impact of proposed policies, and present data compellingly.
- Influencing Legislation: This segment will provide participants with an understanding of the legislative process and how to work with lawmakers to shape policy outcomes effectively. They will learn about opportunities for input, such as public hearings, committee meetings, and submitting written testimony.
- Media and Communications: Participants will discover the power of media and communications in advocacy. They will learn how to leverage traditional and digital media platforms to raise awareness, shape public opinion, and gain visibility for their advocacy campaigns.
- Advocacy Day Preparation: This topic will focus on preparing participants for the advocacy day on Capitol Hill. They will learn about the logistics of engaging with legislators, scheduling meetings, and effectively conveying their messages within a limited time.
- Ethical Considerations and Compliance: This segment will cover the ethical considerations and legal compliance requirements for advocacy activities. Participants will learn about transparency, disclosure, and the importance of adhering to ethical standards in their advocacy efforts.
This training overlaps with Session D Workshops and part of lunch.
Senior Director of Government Affairs
Field Mobilization & Policy Manager