- This event has passed.
Living a Meaningful Life: Focusing on You and Your Future
November 14 @ 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
Because those in human services spend so much of their lives helping others and trying to have a positive impact on their communities, it is important to also practice self-awareness and be in tune with your own core values. This is challenging work, so we must try to identify and gravitate toward tasks, roles, and opportunities that give us energy. It is never too early to begin the process of designing a life beyond your current full-time work commitments. For leaders, particularly those beginning to think about retiring, this webinar will offer dedicated time and support in identifying and focusing on your values and priorities. As you look ahead and wonder what’s next, the question of what your life will look like and how to get there doesn’t need to feel daunting.
Through a short exercise that participants will complete before the webinar and with personalized guidance from presenter Harry Muir, you will begin to gain new perspective on your “work view” and “life view.” With this knowledge and skills used by design engineers to solve complex problems, you’ll learn how to envision a life’s work that aligns with your core values and gives you energy and meaning.
This webinar and 2023 online course start with the premise that we all need to take time to examine our lives, identify what is important to us, and consider how best to align our gifts and talents with the work we are doing and lives we are living. They also encourage us to consider that, with our many gifts, talents, experiences, and interests, there are multiple ways to continue to serve—possibly in ways we have never imagined.
This webinar is a precursor to a six-part online course that will start in early 2023. Participants will begin building foundations for a fulfilling career or second acts path. This webinar is offered through Social Current’s Executive Leadership Institute (ELI).
- Outline your personal core values
- Identify the work tasks that give you energy
- How to align these elements with a meaningful work and life path beyond your current work
- Create a personal “work life vision” plan for the next three to five years or your Second Act
- Learn about the Second Acts: Designing My Life online course and complete the first course component if you choose to enroll
Who Should Participate
Anyone could benefit from this webinar, as participants will identify their core values and how their work and life views integrate, as well as draft a vision statement for the next three to five years.
However, the target audience is formal and informal leaders in human services who are asking themselves any of the following questions:
- Is this all there is (in terms of their work and life relationships)?
- Is my life/work making a difference?
- Will I ever be able to do anything outside of or different from what my resume suggests?
- What does the next three to five years of my life look like?
- What am I going to do once my full-time work is done, or in my postretirement stage of life?
- How could I better utilize my gifts and talents?
- How can I live a well-lived, joyful life?